July 10, 2023
Summer Moving Steps for Success
Summer is the busiest time of year to move. According to Moving.com, the peak season for moving is from May until September. This is because school-age children are out of school on summer break.
Moving during the summer can be a challenging experience. With the hot weather and long days, staying organized and on track with your move can be difficult. To make sure that you have a successful move, here are some tips for moving during the summer.
Plan when packing up your home by making sure you have enough boxes and packing materials on hand. Organizing everything into a list, whether on your phone or computer or on paper, getting all of the ideas out of your head and onto another medium will help you remember everything and reduce your stress levels.<br><br>
- Make a master to-do list, itemizing important steps.
- Divide your list into categories, sorting them by each room.
- Gather boxes, containers, and packing materials.
If you are moving from a rental, it is important to clean thoroughly so you can retain a portion or all of your security deposit, as far as your lease allows you to. If you are selling your home, you will still need to deep clean it. This type of cleaning goes beyond normal everyday chores. Here are some oft-forgotten spots you should make sure you get to.
- Dust and wipe off surfaces you normally don’t, such as the surface area of your walls, ceilings, corners, vents, fans, lights, light switches, and other fixtures attached to your walls. Dust off cobwebs with a duster and use a soft cloth to wipe down surfaces. Don’t use any chemicals, as this might destroy or fade the paint on the walls. Make sure you scrub away stains, marks, and fingerprints.
- Wash windows and windowsills, making sure to clean the individual slats of the blinds or shutters.
- Patch any holes in the walls with plaster, let it dry, and smooth the surface with sandpaper. You can paint the walls with a fresh coat to complete the look, but the new owners or the landlord may want to change the color, so be sure to check before you take the time to do so.
- Wipe down the baseboards and any crown molding.
- Sweep and mop your floors in all rooms. Vacuum the carpets. For a deeper clean, you can rent a cheap carpet cleaning device and wash the carpeted areas.
- Depending on your situation, if you must leave appliances, make sure they are fully cleaned.
- Clean out your refrigerator and wipe down all of the drawers and shelves.
- Clean out the oven using an oven cleaner that you can purchase at any home improvement store.
- Clean any other appliances that you will not take with you
Take advantage of the longer days by getting an early start on packing and moving so that you can avoid the hottest part of the day. Be mindful of what you are packing and where to label your boxes and make a list to keep track of what is in those boxes. Careful packing makes for easy unpacking, so doing all the hard work now will save you from having to do it twice.
Consider using self-storage or renting out a storage unit to house any items you don’t need immediately. This will help keep your space clutter-free while also giving you extra time to pack up your belongings. Mini U Storage is just the right place. We offer climate-controlled storage so you can store it at any time of the year. With so many locations nationwide, you are sure to find the right place for your things. Visit us at any of our locations to get started.